- Ask specifically about cardiac disease, respiratory disease / smoking and diabetes
- Generally review the other systems
- For each medical condition the patient has, consider
- How does it affect them?
- What treatment have they had / do they use?
- Can the condition be optimised before surgery?
- Description of exercise tolerance is vital, this is usually described in terms of metabolic equivalents or METS, it is important to know what limits the patient, shortness of breath, chest pain, claudication, fatigue etc.